3.31.12, Join the PAGODA for an evening of gritty soul music provided by the production of Adrian Younge and his band “Venice Dawn” in support of his recent release off of Wax Poetics Records entitled Something About April. Something About April is a heavy, dark mix of psychedelic soul and cinematic instrumentals with hip-hop aesthetics, touching on influences from Morricone to King Crimson, Portishead to the Flamingos, Wu-Tang to Otis Redding. We also continue our celebration of the 50th issue release and 10 years of Wax Poetics Magazine. As always, Blind I got you on a pair of tickets for this Friday. All you gotta do is spit sumin fresh in the comments along with your email & we will chose the one that stands out the most. No trolling. Serious inquiries only!
$12 presale tickets available at: http://
Saturday, March 31st, 2012
Universal Grammar, Fairmont Hotel San Jose presents
Live At the Pagoda Spring Music Series V.2
www.waxpoetics.com recording artitst
Adrian Younge presents “Venice Dawn”
+ special guest DJ’s
D1ME DJ’s vs. Cold Chillin DJ’s
$12 presale tickets available at: http://
Doors @ 9pm | 21 & Wiser for Entry
The Pagoda inside the Fairmont Hotel
170 South Market, San Jose, Ca 95113
Adrian Younge is the next generation of soul music. A self-taught musician and recording engineer who has dedicated his life to the study of classic soul music, Younge finds himself at the center of a new soul renaissance with a vision for pushing the boundaries of the music itself.
The story begins in 1998 as the budding hip-hop producer found himself confined by the limitations of the MPC. He began teaching himself how to play various instruments so he could fully realize his vision. First it was keyboards, then drums, sax, guitar, and bass. Fascinated with the sounds of Italian soundtracks by the likes of Ennio Morricone, Younge begins work on the soundtrack to the fictional film Venice Dawn, recording the album intermittently over the course of the next year. What developed was a sound equal parts Morricone and Air. Self-released in 2000, the moody, synth-drenched album was entirely composed, arranged, played, and recorded by Younge.
Eight years later in 2008, Younge would find himself at the center of the Black Dynamite zeitgeist. Instrumental in the film’s development, Younge not only edited the film, but also composed the original score, which was hailed as a modern blaxploitation masterpiece for authentically capturing the cinematic soul of the 1970s, from Isaac Hayes to Curtis Mayfield. Adrian Younge solidified himself as a force to be reckoned with and soon went to work writing music for the forthcoming Black Dynamite cartoon series on Adult Swim.
For his current solo project, Younge envisioned a new sound that would revisit his earlier, more baroque instrumental work of Venice Dawn and mesh it with the deep, gritty soul of Black Dynamite, eventually deciding to bring everything full circle by releasing the material under the moniker Venice Dawn. This new LP, titled Something About April, is a heavy, dark mix of psychedelic soul and cinematic instrumentals with hip-hop aesthetics, touching on influences from Morricone to King Crimson, Portishead to the Flamingos, Wu-Tang to Otis Redding.
Younge, who is signed with Wax Poetics Records, is currently writing and recording material for his next project, a Delfonics album with William Hart, founding singer of the legendary soul group.
DROPPED BY NOFriendly Link
- J DILLA’S RECORD COLLECTION
- ART DONT SLEEP PRESENTS: 12 REASONS TO DIE W/ GHOSTFACE KILLAH x ADRIAN YOUNGE RECORD RELEASE/TICKET GIVEAWAY
- THEMPEOPLE – SMOKE BREAKS || DOPE INSPIRES DOPE
- VIDEO: VIC SPENCER (@VICSPENCER) – DUCK SAUCE (FT. MC TREE @MCTREEG)
- VIDEO: CHANCE THE RAPPER (@CHANCETHERAPPER) – JUICE
- VIDEO: LILI K (@LILIKJAZZ) – NEVER EVER
- VIDEO: YANCEY BOYS – THE THROWAWAY
- ART DON’T SLEEP PRESENTS “THAT 70′S SOUL”
- VIDEO: KAVINSKY – PROTOVISION
- LEGION OF DOOM – ALL DISRESPECT INTENDED
- CLOUDEATER – HYBRID HEART (MESCK REMIX)
- LILI K AND PETER COTTONTALE – METAL PETALS
- STRONG ARM STEADY & OH NO – NO SKY LIMIT (SMOKE ON REMIX) FEAT. DOM KENNEDY
- VIDEO: KARRIEM RIGGINS – SUMMER MADNESS
- MIX: DEECH – 30 MINUTE MIX 4 ACTIVIA BENZ
- Mary on VIDEO: KARRIEM RIGGINS – SUMMER MADNESS
- Smallfirmsbigopportunity.com on DEF SOUND- OOOOOH!THEE.BITCHTAPE.
- eyluba on ADD US ON LAST.FM!
- A CONCERNED NIGGA on BLIND I PRESENTS THE NEPTUNES – DECEMVIR
- formal dresses come in all price ranges8 on TALIB KWELI & RES as IDLE WARSHIP LIVE
- best rate loan on DEF SOUND- OOOOOH!THEE.BITCHTAPE.
- David l on A CHALLENGE FROM BUSTA RHYMES
- unsecured loans on DEF SOUND- OOOOOH!THEE.BITCHTAPE.
- best loan offers on DEF SOUND- OOOOOH!THEE.BITCHTAPE.
- matcha green tea on JAY ELECTRONICA F/ DIDDY-THE GHOST OF CHRISTOPHER WALLACE
Blind I was created with one single aim: to eradicate wackness and promote freshness for the youth. We pride ourselves on creating a portal by which the future leaders of the world can study the freshness factor of those successful people in society and use that factor to procure a position atop the socio-economic ladder. We are influential in many areas of entertainment; from the newest & freshest music, to superb style, movies, news, technology, and everything else that affects a fly individual's life. Blind I is a multimedia corporation designed and operated by connoisseurs of all tastes and trades related to freshness. The company stands as a symbol for the ingenuity of young professionals and as a salute to excellence through a display of natural style & grace.